Macular degeneration is an eye disorder which normally occurs in people who have age of above 60. It is also known as age-related disease. The small portion of the retina known as macular deteriorates faces disease known as Macular Degeneration. The patients are suffering from it never leads to complete blindness. It just a stage when the visual capabilities get decreased. There are two forms of this disease which are briefly discussed below.
- One is dry and the second one is a wet form of it.
- Presence of yellow deposits known as drusen in the macula is the dry form of it. When the number and size of drusen increases one can lead to diming and distortion of their vision.
- In the wet form stage, the abnormal blood vessels under the macular grow. These blood vessels occur due the leakage of blood and fluid into the retina.
- The patients suffering from the wet form leads to permanent loss of central vision.
In this article, we are going to discuss the symptoms and treatment of macular degeneration. Keep reading this article to get all the knowledge about the same.
The reason behind macular degeneration:
- The first and the main reason behind Macular Degeneration occurring is that it can be passed by our parent. It means if any of your family members is suffering from this disease then their children have hundred per cent chances to face this eye disorder.
- The other reason behind this disease is chain-smoking, high blood pressure and high cholesterol or obesity.
- The light-skinned females who have the problem of light eye color can also suffer from macular degeneration as the age increases.
Symptoms for recognizing this disease:
- In the earlier stage of this disease, it is very tough to recognize because it never affects our vision in starting stage.
- It can be only recognized when it starts to harm both eyes.
- When it starts to affect our eyes the vision got blurred and some dim and blurry spots appear in the centre of the vision.
- It decreases the visual quality and resolution while doing daily Living tasks such as reading, driving or walking.
- Color perception also got changed or diminished.
- Dark and blurry spots eventually appear in the middle of the vision when it started to affect our eyes. By these symptoms, this disease gets recognized.
- If we talk about the proper treatment of Macular Degeneration than earlier, it was not possible. But we can control the growth of it by the latest techniques and eye specialist.
- Anti-angiogenesis drugs are really helpful to control the growth of abnormal blood vessels.
- We can block the development of those blood vessels that causes the wet form of this disease by having anti-angiogenesis.
- Laser therapy is also a good treatment option for this disease. With the help of high laser lights, the blood vessels growth can be destroyed.
- Patients who have lost their vision from it can also use lenses which will help them to recognize nearby objects.
Here we discussed the macular degeneration eye disorder. It can occur with our age increases. This is one of the common eye disorders among the people above 60 years of age. We also have discussed symptoms, treatment and how this disease occurs. It can be passed by parents to their children. That’s why this disease should not be ignored by anyone. We hope the information given by us about Macular Degeneration will help you to get enough knowledge about this eye disorder and will help you to recognize it.